“Working to Build a More Equitable and Peaceful Community for all County residents”
The mission of the Human Relations Commission (HRC) is to advise the Board of Supervisors on issues that affect the human and civil rights of all County residents and advocate for and take positive action to eliminate prejudice and discrimination based on race, religion, national origin, cultural background, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability or other factors.
Who We Are
The Human Relations Commission (HRC) was formed in 1972 in response to civil unrest that was taking place during the Civil Rights Movement. This 15 member commission is appointed by the Board of Supervisors to represent their respective districts. The HRC works closely with the County Office of Human Relations to hear community concerns, eliminate prejudice and discrimination, and to build positive inter-group relations.
HRC Meetings and Structure
The HRC meets on the second Thursday of each month (except in July and December) at 6:30 p.m. in the Board Chambers in the County Government Building located at 70 West Hedding Street, San José, CA 95110.
In addition to the full commission, the HRC, consists of the following standing committees:
- Executive Committee (EC)
- Justice Review Committee (JRC), Chair Greer Stone: Reviews and makes recommendations regarding human rights concerns involving relations between law enforcement or Department of Correction and Santa Clara County community members or inmates
- Social Equity Committee (SEC), Chair Kelly Martinez: Builds community and supports the investigation of community concern regarding interpersonal and inter-group bias, prejudice, discrimination, and conflict.
- Resource Development and Outreach Committee (RDOC), Not Chaired, as RDOC meetings are currently held in abeyance temporarily until further notice by the Commission: Develops and sustains local resources to support the Commission mission and purpose.
To seek appointment to the Human Relations Commission please contact the Office of the Clerk of the Board at (408) 299-5001 or apply online at: https://www.sccgov.org/sites/bos/cob/Pages/default.aspx. Also let your Board of Supervisor's office know that you are interested.
To refer an item to the Human Relations Commission, please contact: (408) 678-2302.
The 2018-19 Human Relations Commission:
- Justin P. Boren, Ph.D., Chairperson, District 4
- Greer Stone, J.D., Vice Chairperson, District 5
- Robert Chaykin, District 1
- Bryan Franzen, Ph.D., District 1
- Jinny R. Herter, District 4
- Kelly Martinez, District 2
- Clarissa L. Moore, District 2
- Narendra V. Pathak, District 3
- Shahnawaz Saigal, District 3
- Richard M. Vierhus, District 4
- Hyon Chu Yi-Baker, District 1
The following seats are currently vacant on the commission:
- Seat 1 (District 2)
- Seat 5 (District 5)
- Seat 9 (District 5)
- Seat 15 (District 3)